Wicked tells the story of Elphaba, the future Wicked Witch of the West, and her relationship with Galinda, later Glinda, the Good Witch of the North (in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz novel, Glinda is the Good Witch of the South). The two women struggle through their opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, their reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba's public fall from grace. The plot begins before and continues after Dorothy's arrival from Kansas, and includes several references to the events depicted in the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.
It was such an incredible musical. I showed the girls the video clip of the song but it only left them with a million questions as to why the Wicked Witch and Glinda were singing to each other.
I also tried to explain to Noelle what popular meant. That was rocky too. How do you explain it without bringing in all the negative that it means? So she used it in a sentence: "Oh yeah, Roxie is really popular to me."
And then the whole song is pretty much "tongue in cheek" which is lost on them as well but we sure enjoyed it :).

We all headed to Spaghetti Factory afterwards, which was fun, minus the water dumped in my lap, down my pants and in my shoes. But I've got 5 years on me as a mom now, par for the course ;).
1 comment:
So cute Katie - I watched the video on facebook - must have brought back many dance shows memories....remember Texas Cinderella? That one probably has to be my all time favorite! Your girls are beautiful and I hope they do get the "dance bug" too!
Post a Comment