Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Ryan asked me the other night what my New Year's Resolutions were. I told him, "I don't do New Year's resolutions." I think that I am always resolving to work on something, or maybe I would phrase it, grow in some area of my life. After we had a couple more exchanges I said, well, if I had to come up with a resolution, these are what have been on my mind lately:

1) Have more patience with Noelle

2) Read more books to Natalie

3) Be kinder in my words to Ryan

Things that are so easy to throw out there but not so easy to keep up (except maybe the book reading). Isn't that the way with New Year's Resolutions all around. It brings me right back to the three reasons I don't make them:

1) I desire to always be open to growth and change, not just at the start of the year.

2) God's mercies are new EVERY day.

3) On our own efforts we fail to live up to our resolutions but through the transforming work of Christ in us we can live in new freedom and new ways of being (a change from those same patterns of behavior we repeat over and over - hence the need for a resolution)

This last reason was pretty much the message at church last week that reminded me once again to seek dependence on God and not self-improvement. Still don't think I'm getting that, maybe sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Kaitlyn,
I love how you put your thoughts into words-so insightful and well spoken. I just had to let you know that your resolutions are exactly the same as mine. Just wanted to let you know that I totally relate, and that it's so encouraging to know that someone struggles with the same things I do. It was so great to spend time with you and Ryan and the girls. I adore you! Am