Monday, August 16, 2010

Character

I'm beginning to realize that my daughter has a temperment. Now, I know that does not sound surprising, but IT IS to me. It surprises me that some of the things I see now might always be. It surprises me how different she is from me in some ways. And yet, I know that as a 4 year old it is hard at times to get an accurate picture.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the way Noelle is, has something to do with her and not just with me. I guess it points to the fact that I put a lot of stock into the "nurture" over "nature" theory and am surprised to find that some of her behavior and attitude really do seem to come from hard-wiring. I can't help but wonder how the pregnancy and all of my "stuff" and Ryan's "stuff" and life's circumstances play a part in shaping her. But I am beginning to realize that there are some things that have been pretty consistent from day one.

I'm also reminding myself of something I learned in school. I learned that the type of temperment of your child isn't as important as the "goodness of fit" or the connection that is formed between the child and the parent. In more recent weeks I have been encouraged to really try and gauge the needs of my child and attempt to understand where she is coming from. So, I am attempting to really "see" my child and attempting to connect with her the best I can, look her in the eyes, comfort her, enjoy her and think about her.

At 4, I'm beginning to realize more and more that she is so separate of me and is a complete individual. I think it's Noelle that is supposed to be going through the process but here I am.

And on that note, I felt these pictures captured some of her character:

Loving kindness
Noelle has a big heart and has always been very sensitive. She is sensitive in many ways, one of them being that she can sense others emotions and is affected by them. She really knows how to love well and we see it come out at times. I love when she loves on her sister.


So there is one thing that she seems to have in common with me, her love of dance, posing and attention. Here she is on the soccer field, sauntered off from the disorganized class and taking a minute to pose by the goal.


Intensity
But unlike me, she has a little fire in her that can show up in her passion and intensity, like on the soccer field, in her art and in her interaction.




Determination
Noelle is extremely determined. I think about the line in the movie clueless that said, "it's just a jumping off point for negotiations" or something like that. In this picture, I wouldn't get down something she wanted and so she started piling (in frustration I would add). Natalie just decided to pull the tall barstool over, a reminder that keeping a level head about what you're trying to get at sure helps ;).





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kaitlyn,
I think that your "considerations" (don't know if that word is right) about Noelle is very ineresting. In espacially in your view as a mother. It reminds me at all those good, intresting conversations we had... ah, if only I could turn time back...

The text that you wrote also reminded me a couple of situations that I/we had with Noelle by the time I was there... She really knows what she wants, right? =)

I am gonna keep her in very good memories and Nataliee of course too.
I'll send them a big kiss
Fabienne