Tuesday, August 31, 2010

EAT PRAY LOVE

I finished the book and saw the movie last night. I have to say that Elizabeth Gilbert's worldview is very different than my own but like so many of her readers I appreciate her intentionality and her open wrestlings.


It's nice to jump inside someone's head very different than your own. For me, it brings up new thoughts and questions and at the same time affirms some of my own understandings. And of course, like most times you get a chance to know someone on a deeper level, you find similarities and at times opportunities to see aspects of yourself more clearly.

Gilbert gives the reader a chance to step into her thought processes and glimpse the lack of grace and abundance of judgments she begins the journey with. An opportunity to stop and analyze, "What does my thought process look like?" "Am I gentle to myself?" because MAN, that sure looks painful, what she's doing!



Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a book, I begin to pick up on their writing style and find some similar narration coming into my own head about my life. Does that happen to you? I took more notice of my thoughts while reading this book and became more intentional in where I let my thoughts go. It really is amazing how quickly we can shoot ourselves down. My spiral downward really did used to resemble a falling plane. I catch myself much earlier these days (mostly). Like Gilbert seems to begin doing, I know the signs and try to respond.

I have so many thoughts on this book, perhaps I'll find time to share a few more. If anyone reads this and has a thought, share.

No comments: