Wednesday, April 20, 2011

EASTER

I am excited this week for Easter. We celebrate the greatest day in history.

I adore Christmas but I sure did spend a lot of time in preparation for the presents and I feel thankful for the simplicity of Easter.

Jesus has rocked my life. I know a freedom that is unexplainable and a love that runs deep in my veins. Hope in him truly does act like an anchor for my soul.

Last night was passover. I only know that because my calendar said so. I overlook it mostly but when I saw it again on the calendar I wanted to look into it afresh and I was encouraged. The Passover Seder points to Christ in uncanny ways.

One particular point stuck out to me, where three pieces of matzoh are selected and the middle one is broken and then hidden. After dinner a child seeks and finds the matzoh to receive a reward. Someone suggested the childlike faith in which we must come to Christ and how rich of a reward we are offered. Another the idea that the Matzoh is pierced and striped.

I look around at our world and see the strife and the pain. I look to this Sunday with a renewed desire to reflect on the significance of the cross.

Crosses are everywhere and a Happy Easter message with a big cross can fool us into missing the depth and the breadth of Jesus' cross. If the cross holds some old, unhelpful meaning to you, I encourage you to look anew to the significance of the cross.

Knowing the cross, all that it represents and how the story unfolds, Easter Sunday takes on new meaning, fresh meaning that is unequally exciting.

No comments: